Document Type : Research Paper
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics, Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine, Rahat Breath and Sleep Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran.
Introduction: Blood transfusion in orthopedic surgery is unavoidable; But not all people and all surgeries need a blood transfusion; Guidelines are needed to prevent blood transfusions and blood transfusions for eligible blood transfusions; Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the pattern of MSBOS ordering in orthopedic surgeries in hospitals in Tabriz.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed in Shohada and Imam Reza hospitals (Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) in 2020 compared to 2019 as a pilot program of MSBOS ordering; The number of injected units and the number of cross-matched units calculated in the mentioned two years were compared with each other.
Results: C/T ratio was considerably reduced following MSBOS implementation from 3.97 to 1.57 (CI: 3.97-1.70; p=0.001). Transfusion index, following MSBOS implementation, considerably increased from 25.2% to 63.6% (CI: 36.25-40.55; p=0.001). Transfusion probability increased from 24.7% to 59.4% (CI: 31.73-37.67; p=0.001).
Conclusion: In this study, cross-matching percent after MSBOS implementation was considerably reduced, suggesting its effectiveness in optimizing blood usage. Therefore, training surgeons and highlighting blood requests based on MSBOS contribute to efficient blood order management.
- 1. W. Qin, M. Baruah, A. Stefan, M. Van der Auweraer, N. Boens, ChemPhysChem. 6, 2343 (2005).
2. D. Frath, JE. Yarnell, G. Ulrich, FN. Castellano, R. Ziessel, ChemPhysChem. 14, 3348(2013).
3. G. Ulrich, A. Barsella, A. Boeglin, S. Niu, R. Ziessel, ChemPhysChem. 15, 2693 (2014).
- 4. ML. Agazzi, JE. Durantini, NS. Gsponer, AM. Durantini, SG. Bertolotti, EN. Durantini, Chem Phys Chem, 20, 1110 (2019).
5. Z-H. Pan, G-G. Luo, J-W. Zhou, J-X. Xia, K. Fang, R-B. Wu, Dalton Trans., 43, 8499 (2014).
6. J. Kabatc, B. Jedrzejewska, A. Bajorek, and J. Paczkowski, J. Fluoresc, 16, 525 (2006).
7. EN. Kaya, B. Köksoy, S. Yeşilot, M. Durmuş, Dyes and Pigments, 172, 107867 (2020).
8. Y. Liu, L. Yang, C. Ma, A. Tangb, Dyes and Pigments, 173, 107981 (2020).
9. A. Ortiz, Dyes and Pigments, 171, 107690 (2019).
10. T. Rappitsch, I. Klimant, S.M. Borisov, Dyes and Pigments, 174, 108037 (2020).
11. T. Xu, C. Yan, Y. Wu, C. Yuan, X. Shao, Dyes and Pigments, 168, 235 (2019).
12. Z. Khanjari, B. Mohtat, R. Ghiasi, H. Djahaniani, F. K. Behbahani, Main Group Chemistry, 20, 59 (2021).
13. R. Ghiasi, Z. Zandiyeh, Inorganic Chemistry Communications, 124, 108412 (2021).