Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Research Center, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
This descriptive cross-sectional study was performed in parallel with the participation of 90 rhinoplasty patients at Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. Dexamethasone was injected intravenously for patients before surgery; For group B, dexamethasone was injected every eight hours after surgery, and for group A, it was injected only before surgery. Finally, the amount of ecchymosis and edema and the amount of bleeding between the study groups were compared with Chi-square, Mann-Whitney U and T-tests. The degree of lower eyelid edema on the first day after surgery was significantly different in comparison with groups A and B and group C (P=0.001). On the second day after surgery, the degree of lower eyelid edema was higher in group C compared to groups A and B (P=0.001). The degree of upper eyelid ecchymosis was equal between groups A and B on the first day after surgery. And group C patients had significantly more upper eyelid ecchymosis (P=0.001). Use of a single dose of dexamethasone (8 mg) before rhinoplasty reduces edema and ecchymosis of the upper eyelid and edema of the lower eyelid in the first 48 hours after surgery and reduces ecchymosis of the lower eyelid in the first 24 hours after surgery. There is no improvement in reducing the volume of bleeding during the operation and the length of the period.
- Mishra, M.K. Fischer and P. Bäuerle, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 48, 2474. (2009); bZ.S. Wang, Y. Cui, K. Hara, Y. Dan‐oh, C. Kasada and A. Shinpo, Adv. Mater., 19, 1138. (2007).
- Mathew, A. Yella, P. Gao, R. Humphry-Baker, B.F. Curchod, N. Ashari-Astani, I. Tavernelli, U. Rothlisberger, M.K. Nazeeruddin and M. Grätzel, Nature chemistry, 6, 242. (2014).
- J. Lind, K.C. Gordon, S. Gambhir and D.L. Officer, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 11, 5598. (2009).
- Lu, L. Feng, T. Akasaka and S. Nagase, Chemical Society Reviews, 41, 7723. (2012); bM.N. Chaur, F. Melin, A.L. Ortiz and L. Echegoyen, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 48, 7514. (2009); cD. Bethune, R. Johnson, J. Salem, M. De Vries and C. Yannoni, Nature, 366, 123. (1993); dT. Hirata, R. Hatakeyama, T. Mieno and N. Sato, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, 14, 615. (1996).
- Cioslowski and E.D. Fleischmann, The Journal of chemical physics, 94, 3730. (1991).
- Pavanello, A.F. Jalbout, B. Trzaskowski and L. Adamowicz, Chemical physics letters, 442, 339. (2007); bH. Malani and D. Zhang, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 117, 3521. (2013).
- M. Soler, E. Artacho, J.D. Gale, A. García, J. Junquera, P. Ordejón and D. Sánchez-Portal, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 14, 2745. (2002).
- -F. Pan, Z.-K. Chen, S.-J. Chua and W. Huang, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 105, 8775. (2001).
- Rezvani, M.D. Ganji, S. Jameh-Bozorghi and A. Niazi, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 194, 57. (2018).
- Fonseca Guerra, J.W. Handgraaf, E.J. Baerends and F.M. Bickelhaupt, Journal of computational chemistry, 25, 189. (2004).