Document Type : Research Paper
Modibbo Adama University
Department of chemistry education, faculty of education, college of education, Yola
This study focused on developing and characterizing an emulsion paint formulated from a copolymer binder of polyvinyl acetate- hydroxylated guna seed oil (PVAc/HGSO) and compared with paint made from conventional polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) binder. Seed oil from guna was extracted mechanically using cold press method, and the extracted guna oil were successively subjected to epoxidation and hydroxylation reaction processes. The hydroxylated guna seed oil (HGSO) was copolymerised with conventional polyvinyl acetate in different ratio of 10 to 70% of hydroxylated oil, to formulate a novel PVAc/HGSO copolymer binder. The formulated copolymer binder was characterised, and compared with the standard inorder to ascertain the better blend ratio that will be suitable for paint production. The better blend copolymer binder was used in production of an emulsion paint. The physico-chemical parameters on the formulated emulsion paint were compared with paint formulated using only PVAc as a binder and acceptable value in the coating industry. The novel formulated emulsion paint found to be increased in gloss, adhesion and flexibility, which are major setback in paint produced using conventional PVAc only as a binder.
- J. Gidigbi, S. Osemeahon, A. Ngoshe and A. Babanyaya, International Journal of Recent Innovation in Academic Research, 3, 231(2019).
- A. Akinterinwa, S. Osemeahon, I. Nkafamiya and P. Dass, Chemistry and materials reseach, 7,7(2015).
- J. Crowley, J. J. W. League and J. Lowe, Journal of Paint Technology, 38, 20(2008).
- "Laboratory Studies on Small Scale Productionof three Different Grades of Emulsion Paints," Research Journal of Pure Science and Technology, 1, 23(2017).
- S. Osemeahon and B. Dimas, Jour. of Toxicology and Environmental Health Science, 3, 49(2014).
- A. Abubakar and J. Gidigbi, J. Chem Soc. Nigeria, 45, 121(2020).
- I. Udeozo, N. Umedum, N. Okoye and I. Kelle, Int. Jounal of Science and Technology, 13, 822(2013).
V. Vaccarezza and C. Anderson, " Using Automotive Paint Sludge as a Binder for Pelletizing Magnetite Ore," Aspects Min Miner Sci. , 10, no. 2, 117(2022).
- V. Kumthekar and S. Kolekar, " Attributes of the Latex Emulsion Processing and its role in morphology and Performance in Paint," Journ. of Prog. organic coating, 72, 380(2011).
- J. M. Yelwa, I. I. Nkafamiya, S. Abdullahi and J. Joel, International JoJ.M Yelwa., I.I. Nkafamiya., S. Abdullahi., and J. Joel., International Journal of Innovative Research and Advance Studies, 4, 1(2017).
- R. Gopalan, A. Venkappavy and S. Nagaraja, Engineering Chemistry: Surface Coatings, Vileas Publishing House, (2000).
- B. Ibrahim, Z. Helwani, I. Fadhillah, A. Wiranata and J. Miharyono, Appl. Sci., 12 296(2022).
- H. L. Barnabas, A. M. Ngoshe and J. A. Gidigbi, NanoNEXT, 2, 16(2021).
- E. T. Evwierhoma and I. E. Ekop, "Extraction and characterisation of oils from some local seeds," Int. Journal of scientific and engineering research, 7, 21(2016).
- Z. Petrovic, A. Zlantanic, C. Lava and S. Sinadinovic-fiser, European Journal of Lipid Science and Tech, 3, no. 2, 293(2003).
- Y. Hwang, L. Sangmook, Y. Youngjae, J. Kwangho and W. Lee, Macromolecular Res, 6, 559(2012).
- A. A. Muhammad and J. Yelwa, International Journal of Scientific Research in Chemistry (IJSRCH), 4, 1(2019).
- S. Osemeahon, O. Maitera, A. Hotton and B. Dimas, Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 8, 181(2013).
- S. Osemeahon and C. Archibong, J. Toxicology and Environmental Health Science, 3, 101(2011).
- I. Mohialdeen, Int. Journal of Engineering, 12, 12(2009).
- SON, "Standard for paint and varnish part 6: Test method for paints for decorative purposes," Abuja, (1990).
- G. Turner, Introduction to Paint Chemistry and Principles of Paint Technology, Third ed., London: Chapman and Hall, (1990).
- Z. Iqbal, S. Sumara Qasim and N. Rafi, Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Sciences, 11, 137(2021).
- C. S. Archibong, I. I. Nkafamiya, S. A. Osemeahon and E. David, Global Scientific Journal, 9, 277(2021).
- U. Habibu, "Production of trowel paints using polyvinyl acetate synthesized from vinyl acetate monomer as a binder," Lonardo journal of sciences, 3, 49(2011).
- G. Biresaw and C. Carriere, J. of Material Science, 33, 313(2004).
- J. Crowley and J. J. W. L. J. League, Journal of Paint Technology, 38, 20(2008).
- N. Al-Manasir, Preparation and characterization of crosslinked polymeric nanoparticles for enhanced oil recovery applications, Norway: University of Oslo, (2009).
- B. Zhongxiang, J. Kun and L. e. a. Chenchen, Advanced Functional Materials, 31, 49, (2021).
- M. Mannari and C. Patel, Understanding Raw Materials, Hanover, Germany: Vincentz Network, (2015).
- R. Gopalan, A. Venkappavy and S. Nagarajan, Engineering Chemistry: Surface Coatings, Vileas Publishing House, (2000).