Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant Professor of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, Sanandaj, Iran
2. Ali Reza Naseri: Assistant Professor of Radiotherapy, Department of Radiology, Rahat Breath and Sleep Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Introduction: Lymphedema, an unpleasant postmastectomy complication, entails neuromuscular injuries. The most common complication is developing carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), exacerbated by chemotherapy in cancer patients. As detecting this complication is effective in the therapeutic process of the patients, this study aimed to detect CTS in women experiencing postmastectomy lymphedema.
Methodology: This cross-sectional descriptive study was conducted on 320 patients suffering from postoperative lymphedema in the hospitals affiliated to Tabriz University of Medical Sciences in Iran from 2018 to 2020. The participants were selected using convenience sampling. The Boston Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire (BCTQ) was used to detect CTS in the participants, and the data were analyzed using chi-square test.
Results: According to the questionnaire, 20% of the participants had CTS symptoms. Study of the results suggested that radiotherapy, lymph node removal during surgery, and diabetes mellitus could be involved in the development of CTS.
Conclusion: The results indicated that one of every five women who experienced postmastectomy lymphedema and had undergone chemotherapy exhibited symptoms of CTS.
- J.M. Soler, E. Artacho, J.D. Gale, A. García, J. Junquera, P. Ordejón and D. Sánchez-Portal, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 14, 2745. (2002).
2. J.P. Perdew, Physical Review B, 33, 8822. (1986).
3. N. Troullier and J.L. Martins, Physical review B, 43, 1993. (1991).
4. W.P. Anderson, T.R. Cundari, R.S. Drago and M.C. Zerner, Inorganic Chemistry, 29, 1. (1990); bA.D. Becke, Physical review A, 38, 3098. (1988); cJ.P. Perdew, K. Burke and M. Ernzerhof, Physical review letters, 77, 3865. (1996); dF. Neese, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Computational Molecular Science, 2, 73. (2012).
5. J.-F. Pan, Z.-K. Chen, S.-J. Chua and W. Huang, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 105, 8775. (2001).
6. M. Rezvani, M.D. Ganji, S. Jameh-Bozorghi and A. Niazi, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 194, 57. (2018).
7. R.S. Mulliken, The Journal of Chemical Physics, 23, 1833. (1955); bF.M. Bickelhaupt, N.J. van Eikema Hommes, C. Fonseca Guerra and E.J. Baerends, Organometallics, 15, 2923. (1996).
8. C. Fonseca Guerra, J.W. Handgraaf, E.J. Baerends and F.M. Bickelhaupt, Journal of computational chemistry, 25, 189. (2004).
9. M. Ghahramanpour, S. Jamehbozorgi and M. Rezvani, Adsorpt., 1. (2020); bJ.W. Lauher and J.A. Ibers, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 96, 4447. (1974); cN. Verdal, P.M. Kozlowski and B.S. Hudson, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 109, 5724. (2005).
10. W.P. Anderson, T.R. Cundari and M.C. Zerner, International journal of quantum chemistry, 39, 31. (1991).
11. Z. Gong and J.B. Lagowski, Journal of Molecular Structure: THEOCHEM, 729, 211. (2005).
12. A. Irfan and A.G. Al-Sehemi, Journal of molecular modeling, 18, 4893. (2012); bC. Qin and A.E. Clark, Chemical physics letters, 438, 26. (2007); cS. Dheivamalar and K.B. Banu, Heliyon, 5, e02903. (2019).
- 13. A. Shalabi, A. El Mahdy, M. Assem, H. Taha and K. Soliman, Journal of nanoparticle research, 16, 2579. (2014).
14. O.V. de Oliveira and A. da Silva Gonçalves, Computational Chemistry, 2, 51. (2014).
15. A.K. Srivastava, S.K. Pandey and N. Misra, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 177, 437. (2016).
16. R.G. Parr and R.G. Pearson, Journal of the American chemical society, 105, 7512. (1983).
17. A. Mishra and P. Bäuerle, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 51, 2020. (2012).
18. H. Alavi, R. Ghiasi, D. Ghazanfari and M.R. Akhgar, Rev Roum Chim, 59, 883. (2014).
19. J. Martínez, Chemical Physics Letters, 478, 310. (2009); bZ. Kazemi, R. Ghiasi and S. Jamehbozorgi, Journal of Nanoanalysis, 6, 121. (2019).
20. J.L. Gazquez, A. Cedillo and A. Vela, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 111, 1966. (2007).