Document Type : Review
Department of Chemistry, Dr. Hari Singh Gour Central University, Sagar-470003, IN
In the context of the characterization of increasing impurities, rapid urbanization and industrialization, and decrease in the available water resources, the application of conventional water treatment and wastewater treatment procedures is becoming more difficult. Recent development processing techniques, such as disinfection and antimicrobial mechanisms, membrane filtration, sensing and monitoring, and UV radiation, are very promising and therefore revised in this paper, providing alternatives to better protect human health and the environment. Its fundamental principles, main applications, and recent innovations have been emphasized. Particularly in comparison to their existing conclusions and recommendations research needs, the benefits and drawbacks of such technologies are demonstrated. Conventional wastewater treatment technology, along with wastewater minimization and water recycling programs, provides promise for reducing and maybe preventing, the unavoidable loss of useful water. The conclusion is that the applications of these technologies will be enhanced at an unparalleled scale alongside increasing knowledge and advances in the industrial sector.
- Sonune, A. & Ghate, R. Developments in wastewater treatment methods. Desalination 167, 55–63 (2004).
- Wastewater Treatment and Reuse: Past, Present, and Future. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282963388_Wastewater_Treatment_and_Reuse_Past_Present_and_Future.
- Loosdrecht, M. C. M. V. & Brdjanovic, D. Anticipating the next century of wastewater treatment. Science 344, 1452–1453 (2014).
- O;, T. J. M. A. K. A. S. Solutions to microplastic pollution - Removal of microplastics from wastewater effluent with advanced wastewater treatment technologies. Water research Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28686942/.
- Yi H;Li M;Huo X;Zeng G;Lai C;Huang D;An Z;Qin L;Liu X;Li B;Liu S;Fu Y;Zhang M; Recent development of advanced biotechnology for wastewater treatment. Critical reviews in biotechnology Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31690134/.
- Improvements in Wastewater Treatment Technology. Science Alert: Research Papers, Journals, Authors, Subscribers, Publishers Available at: https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=pjn.2007.104.110.
- Lettinga, G., Field, J., Lier, J. van, Zeeman, G. & Pol, L. W. H. Advanced anaerobic wastewater treatment in the near future. Water Science and Technology (1998).
- Zhou, H. & Smith, D. W. Advanced technologies in water and wastewater treatment. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 28, 49–66 (2001).
- Zimmermann@stlouisfed.org & He, L. & D. Advances in microbial fuel cells for wastewater treatment, by He, Li; Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews (1970).
- Osmotic membrane bioreactor (OMBR) technology for ... Available at: https://research.monash.edu/en/publications/osmotic-membrane-bioreactor-ombr-technology-for-wastewater-treatm.
- Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) as an Advanced Wastewater ... Available at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/
- Advanced Oxidation Processes for Water and Wastewater Treatment. (2021). doi:10.3390/books978-3-0365-1457-4.
- Culp, Wesner, M. George and L. Culp, "Handbook of advanced wastewater treatment," 2nd ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1978. - References - Scientific Research Publishing Available at: https://www.scirp.org/(S(lz5mqp453edsnp55rrgjct55.))/reference/referencespapers.aspx?referenceid=1523562.
- Upadhye, V. ADVANCES IN WASTEWATER TREATMENT- A REVIEW. Academia.edu (2015). Available at: https://www.academia.edu/11841597/ADVANCES_IN_WASTEWATER_TREATMENT_A_REVIEW?auto=download.
- (PDF) Advanced Oxidation Processes for Wastewater Treatment: Formation of Hydroxyl Radical and Application. ResearchGate Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233272746_Advanced_Oxidation_Processes_for_Wastewater_Treatment_Formation_of_Hydroxyl_Radical_and_Application.
- Miklos DB;Remy C;Jekel M;Linden KG;Drewes JE;Hübner U; Evaluation of advanced oxidation processes for water and wastewater treatment - A critical review. Water research Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29631187/.
- Advances in control technologies for wastewater treatment processes: Status, challenges, and perspectives: Request PDF. ResearchGate Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331449816_Advances_in_control_technologies_for_wastewater_treatment_processes_Status_challenges_and_perspectives.
- Li, X., Chen, S., Angelidaki, I. & Zhang, Y. Bio-electro-Fenton processes for wastewater treatment: Advances and prospects. Chemical Engineering Journal (2018). Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1385894718315183.
- Dankovich, T. A. & Gray, D. G. Bactericidal Paper Impregnated with Silver Nanoparticles for Point-of-Use Water Treatment. Environmental Science & Technology 45, 1992–1998 (2011).
- Bethi, B., Sonawane, S. H., Bhanvase, B. A. & Gumfekar, S. P. Nanomaterials-based advanced oxidation processes for wastewater treatment: A review. Chemical Engineering and Processing - Process Intensification (2016). Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0255270116303312.
- Use of selected advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) for wastewater treatment - a mini review. Issue 3 Global NEST: the international Journal Global NEST Journal 10, 376–385 (2013).
- Gągol, M., Przyjazny, A. & Boczkaj, G. Wastewater treatment by means of advanced oxidation processes based on cavitation – A review - Publication - MOST Wiedzy. MOST Wiedzy - your knowledge portal (1970).
- Prasse C;Stalter D;Schulte-Oehlmann U;Oehlmann J;Ternes TA; Spoilt for choice: A critical review on the chemical and biological assessment of current wastewater treatment technologies. Water research Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26431616/.
- Dong, Y. et al. PRIME PubMed: Graphene quantum dot as a green and facile sensor for free chlorine in drinking water. PRIME PubMed | Graphene quantum dot as a green and facile sensor for free chlorine in drinking water (2013).
- Belhateche, D. H. Choose appropriate wastewater treatment technologies. Chemical Engineering Progress (1995). Available at: https://www.osti.gov/biblio/110145.
- Ranade, V. V. Industrial Wastewater Treatment, Recycling and Reuse. Google Books (2018). Available at: https://books.google.com/books/about/Industrial_Wastewater_Treatment_Recyclin.html?id=wUoGvgAACAAJ.
- Pan, Z. et al. Membrane technology coupled with electrochemical advanced oxidation processes for organic wastewater treatment: Recent advances and future prospects. Chemical Engineering Journal (2019).
- Boczkaj, G. & Fernandes, A. Wastewater treatment by means of advanced oxidation processes at basic pH conditions: A review. Chemical Engineering Journal (2017).
- Angeles, L. et al. Assessing pharmaceutical removal and reduction in toxicity provided by advanced wastewater treatment systems. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2019).
- Vinardell, S. et al. Advances in anaerobic membrane bioreactor technology for municipal wastewater treatment: A 2020 updated review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews (2020).
- Advanced Biological Processes for Wastewater Treatment ... Available at: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-58835-3.
- Singh, K. K., Singh, A. & Rai, S. A study on nanomaterials for water purification. Materials Today: Proceedings (2021). doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2021.07.116.
- Alessandra Cesaro, V. N. and V. B. Wastewater Treatment by Combination of Advanced Oxidation Processes and Conventional Biological Systems. OMICS International (2013).